
B and i spent 2 weeks in Spain in June.
We came back with full bellies and lots of wonderful memories. It was my first trip to Europe and I can't wait to go back.
I haven't finished my spain video montage but in celebration of spain's world cup win today I thought I would upload my 27 photos to flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chinalily/sets/72157624348091243/
BEST PART OF THE TRIP
Going to Bilbao (for 24 hours) ended up being the best part of the trip. We experienced inspirational art at the Guggenheim, consumed two delicious meals and had a small taste of Basque life. Even when you include the torrential downpour of rain and high winds on the second day at Bilbao, it was still the highlight. You'll have to ask me in person for our Bilbao story.
THE MOST DISAPPOINTING PART OF THE TRIP
Spending good euro coin at two highly recommended restaurants for okay paella.
LESSONS LEARNED
1) do tons of research: we bought 3 travel guides and had a list of places to eat and visit. go to Wanderlust in Kitsilano for the best selection or you can borrow the 3 that we have for Barcelona.
2) 2 weeks can be the perfect vacation length: at the end of 2 weeks, we felt we had gotten beyond the touristy parts of Barcelona and emotionally felt ready to come home.
3) if you have a travel partner, create a google map to plot all the places you want to visit then print out the google map.
4) convert your currency BEFORE you leave town.
5) try to meet up with someone in the town you are visiting. getting a local (or even an ex-pat's) opinion on where to eat and what to see is invaluable. Thanks Naheed!
6) accommodations: i found trip advisor super helpful. for our 2 week stay, we stayed in 2 different places in 2 different neighbourhoods. we really liked changing it up that way and highly recommend it.
7) pack half the clothes you think you need: i have yet to master this lesson. i brought way too many clothes.
*the picture above is of the Maman sculpture piece by Louise Bourgeois which is permanently installed outside the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao. I was actually close to tears when I came across the piece as Ms. Bourgeois had only passed away 3 weeks previously and after watching a documentary about her (2 years ago), I felt a deep respect for her as an artist (she created this piece in her 80s!) and also an emotional understanding of her art.
...UPDATE...
Barcelona video montage!
No comments:
Post a Comment