Friday, April 4, 2008

more stuff

there's been a flurry of publicity for Ladyhawk and, in passing, our film.

the CALGARY HERALD story, entitled "Stranger than Fictional, says this:

Filmmakers Mona Mok and Rob Leickner joined Ladyhawk in their musical immersion, documenting every moment of the recording sessions, including the great fun of spending two weeks with a bucket for a bathroom. Once Let Me Be Fictional is unleashed later this year, Driediger may be prodded to recall everything that happened. "We haven't seen the final version of the movie," he admits. "It was weird doing it. They're cool people, and it was cool of them to do it, but it's not something I'd rush to do again. When a camera's in your face, it's hard to act the same--you feel false. I guess what's strange is to be thought of as interesting enough to document."

then WINNIPEG's Uptown magazine had this lovely quote:

Being comfortable enough to take risks on this particular album is a feat for Ladyhawk, which had cameras pointed at it during the entire recording process. The making of Shots was filmed for a documentary on the band called Let Me Be Fictional, directed by Vancover-based filmmakers Mona Mok and Rob Leickner - a project Driediger was initially against.

"When they approached us, I was kind of the one who was like, 'I dunno, guys.' I just wanted to focus on the record," he says. "But, I got convinced it was a good thing.

"It was weird to have cameras in your face all the time - you tend to edit how you talk. And it's hard because you have no control over how you're portrayed, and normally, I like having lots of control when it comes to our art," Driediger continues. "But Rob and Mona are really cool, and I think their presence really added to it."

Shots ended up benefitting from the band's unexpected houseguests - but what does Driediger think of the finished doc?

"I saw a version of it, but I can't really imagine anyone other than people who are really into our band - which is probably, like, 10 people - being interested in it," he says, in typical self-deprecating fashion.

"But it really captures our raw sex appeal."


and finally yesterday alone, there were two (2) mentions in two (2) vancouver media outlets: the vancouver sun and the georgia straight.




the VANCOUVER SUN's article, entitled Homemade sangria fuelled Ladyhawk album, had this great tidbit:

Ladyhawk is a jolly band of hairy rockers who are riding a wave of success. They're coming off a three-week cross-Canada tour with friends and label-mates, Black Mountain.

They're attracting press attention wherever they go.

And they're the subjects of a documentary film that watches them record their new album, Shots, in an abandoned farmhouse in Kelowna while drinking copious amounts of homemade sangria.

...

The farmhouse recording process was filmed by Vancouver-based filmmakers Mona Mok and Rob Leickner and edited into the documentary, Let Me Be Fictional.



and then the GEORGIA STRAIGHT story, entitled Ladyhawk flies the rock flag, included this great quote:

The recording of Shots was documented in Let Me Be Fictional, an 82-minute film directed by Rob Leickner and Mona Mok. It shows the quartet laying down tracks in a gutted Kelowna farmhouse with no heat or running water, and includes numerous shots of the members of Ladyhawk emptying hefty pee buckets into the yard. “If you had to do anything more than that, you had to go to the gas station across the street,” offers Driediger, “so for two weeks it was pretty primitive. But it was fun—it was like camping or something, almost.”

No comments: